Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Ode to Marriage and other delights

Forgive me if I chuckle when someone says marriage because I'm often reminded of the scene from "The Princess Bride" where the sage old priest says it more like, "mawage is whad bwings uf togever today." It's a great movie and a wonderful scene. Marriage is indeed filled with laughter, delight, fancy, and comfort. As it should be. Sure, there are difficult times, but when man and woman bond together with diligence and honor it is a song that lifts the heavens to new heights. There are few things more amazing than marriage!
 
It does take work. People sometimes ask how I've stayed married for nearly 25 years. My typical answer is communication, because without talking there's nothing to base your relationship upon. You need to know each other, and that just doesn't happen without talking (not texting, not emailing, and certainly not leaving notes). You need to look into each other's eyes and spill out your hopes and dreams. And, keep talking. Find a quiet place and talk. Our favorite is outside, under the stars, out away from the city lights.
 
And, dreaming of finding the woman who would be my wife filled many nights with heart-rending longing. I've probably listened to enough love songs to give a stadium full of teenagers the silly giggles. I never expected to find her so far away ... more on that another day. Then, for her to tell me, "I'd be delighted to," when I asked for her hand in marriage ... ah, it was better than the sweetest ambrosia.
 
Marriage is a delight beyond anything I could have imagined before.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment