Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Star Wars, Episode VIII is ... filming ... oh, um, spoilers :)

 
I'll admit I'm a bit puzzled by the fanfare of this news. I never expected the new Star Wars to magically appear. Still, it gives me a great opportunity to point out some things I really enjoyed about "Star Wars: The Force Awakens." (So, spoilers if you haven't seen the movie yet).
 
My biggest thrill was seeing this movie treated like a real story and not just an action adventure. The events in the movie are adding up, the story growing, as pieces fall apart and get replaced. It takes guts these days to let a villain survive, particularly after killing a main character. Also, watching a romance develop and not have it go all in before the movie is over is a treat (I anticipate a nice growth to the relationship between Finn and Rey, whatever that turns out to be).
 
I particularly liked seeing the old physical models of Admiral Akbar and Lando's first officer during the attack on the 2nd Death Star (Nien Nunb is the name, he has a wide face ridge). I'm sure there are others, but I focused on those. Regarding lightsabers, we finally see someone who isn't a Jedi using one, and it's pretty hilariously accurate when he gets thrashed--twice. Finally, as I hoped, Luke isn't in the movie until right before the credits. I applaud the restraint. Amazing.
 
I don't make predictions for movies, though I have great hopes that the original trio (Luke, Han, and Leia) have peripheral roles--they are collectively the wise old hermit in any Hero's Journey outline. These new movies should be about Rey and Finn and BB-8. And, I think they will be. The villain will transform to new heights, due particularly to the brutal slaying of his father (I bet Harrison Ford is happy though, since word has it he wanted Han Solo to die back in "The Empire Strikes Back"). In keeping with the Hero's Journey, I hope the big baddie Snoke isn't fully revealed until the 3rd movie. As for redemption, it could go either way. It's gonna be a fun ride.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment