Monday, February 1, 2016

Groundhog day! Will he see his shadow? Excuse me, say what?

Yes, today we have a fanciful rodent predict the weather. Sure, it's a kind of game, and people really get into it. I've contemplated taking my family up to Gobbler's Knob and seeing the whole ceremony... but, it's not at the top of my list of things to do. I suspect the movie "Groundhog Day" presents a fairly accurate version of it all. Traditions are a goofy thing, and this isn't even the oddest of our American traditions.
 
Take, for example, the sport of Apple Bobbing. I never was any good at it--apparently either my mouth doesn't open wide enough or my teeth aren't sharp enough. The idea is that since apples float in water, you dump a bunch in a big bucket and have people try to grab one with their teeth alone (no hands allowed). I suppose the prize is the apple, though sometimes candy or stuffed animals are awarded. I never understood it personally. Maybe that's why I don't get invited to parties? Hmm, could be.
 
The important thing is people get together and have fun. Forming communities demands a certain closeness, and especially communication. These activities are all about forming friendships and meeting strangers. That's the point. We gather, share, have fun, and go back to our regular lives a little bit lifted and with new friends in our contact lists.
 
Happy Groundhog Day!
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment