Monday, October 5, 2015

They do grow up, trust me on this, I have personal experience of this very event.

I was once a child, a kid if you will. And, I grew up. Really, I did. Now, it's debatable the exact nature of my adulthood, but I'm no longer a child. We all, eventually, do finally grow up. There are no Peter Pans among us. And yet, I feel like growing up isn't something especially tied with age. We all know people who we wish would just grow up a little. You could call that maturity, but it's the same concept.
 
After we were married, one thing my wife talked about frequently was how I was in some ways like a kid. She didn't know how to phrase it, but what she meant was that I have a ginormous imagination and love to use it a lot (like a child). I appreciated the compliment, though she didn't mean it as one to begin with--she does now though. Through her eyes, I was privileged to witness the wild fanciful nature of imagination, and now I see it reflecting out from hers as I grin at her. She and I love to sit and watch the clouds, naming off the many things we see in them. It's fabulous fun!
 
image credit
So, don't worry too much about growing up. You will, and you shouldn't avoid it. But, feel free to keep the child alive inside and let yourself pop into youth now and again. Yes, as adults we can still behave like children, but I'm not talking about being petty and childish. Let out the part of you longing for barefoot Sundays and rolling in the grass. Don't bottle up the urges for wiggling your toes in the mud. Enjoy them!
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment