Saturday, October 3, 2015

Moving and Unpacking

Moving is tiring, straining, and makes me want to ignore it. But, it's a process you can't do without. When you get a new house, you take your stuff and move it in. George Carlin did a great little bit about "A Place for My Stuff" and really captures my feelings about the whole issue. Happily, it's not a never ending process. Maybe robots will do it all in the future? That'd be nice. Of course, we could have used a moving company to do it all, but it seems a little silly to do that when we only moved a few miles away.
 
And then there's the unpacking. Ugh. Did some space alien label all my carefully packed boxes? I still can't find my razor. I dimly remember putting very specific labels on these boxes, but they're now cryptic and mysterious. It's like Christmas, because I don't have a clue what's inside. Every day I get presents! Oh, sigh, look it's ... underwear. Okay, on to the next box.
 
I shudder to imagine how military families move so very often. I'm sure you get better at it, expert even, but I doubt it's ever easy or simple. What's really funny is how quickly you fill up any new extra space you have. It's like pouring water into a strange jug--everything flows into the twists and turns until there's no space left (or if it's not full, we go out and find more). I applaud anyone who moves on a regular basis.
 
As for me, I can't wait until all the boxes are opened and the contents stored. The sooner this is done, the happier I'll be.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment