Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Alakazam! It's fixed, er, broken, well, I can work with this ...

Ever hear the saying, "You first must break a thing to make it work." No? Well, perhaps I just made it up. But, it does happen a lot where you make an oops into a eureka! Life is a lot like that, I suppose. But, I was really thinking about when we are desperately trying to make something, anything, happen and all that results is a pile of broken pieces. Then, with a bit of thought and frustration, we create a workable thingie that isn't a complete failure. Case in point ... I now have a shower that points up, but works great!
 
Being a parent is also like that over and over. I lost track of the times I've goofed up, only to return with some words of wisdom to pass along. And, I'm really serious here, it was worth doing. All of it. The idea that our kids get to see how we fail, get frustrated, and finally burst through is a dynamic life lesson (one I'm sure we wished we could ignore). Our children get a glimpse of our true selves, unveiled, for all to see. If you're like me, you cringe at the thought. But, we can fix it. We are works in progress, and if we break a piece off, then use the left over pieces from something else. It'll work if you tweak it a bit...
Yes, this is totally an accurate representation of me.
All accusations that this is some fakery called He-Man is ridiculous.
All silliness aside, why are we so afraid to fail? In stories, the heroes fail all the time ... reliably. Yet, we are on the edge of our seats, because we know they cannot possibly fail in the end. What makes us think we aren't the heroes in our own stories? Shouldn't we be? I doubt I'll ever have superpowers, but I sure am going to win at the end. Count on it. In a blaze of glory, with a sword held high. Count on it!
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment