Saturday, October 24, 2015

Saturday football

Our family has a long-term tradition of Saturday football. It's been going on for generations actually. I'm not much of a sports fan myself, but I can see the appeal. You have two teams vigorously battling each other in mock wars, throwing bombs and breaking through scrimmage lines. Being a student of battlefield tactics, I love the strategy and how coaches and quarterbacks read the field. As we watch, we will do our designated "armchair quarterbacking." (It's not just fun, it obvious we're right and the coaches are wrong. Always.)
Traditions are a fun part of family life. And, despite careful planning at first, the traditions just kind of develop naturally. You can never quite anticipate what they'll be. That's part of the joy. Seeing your family grow and change is amazing. I'd never change one bit of it, both good and bad. Although I wish I could get back the Sunday morning cinnamon rolls ... yummy!
 
My wife fondly remembers going on Sunday afternoon drives, wherever the whimsies of fancy took them. You can do that in a small town with access to long winding country roads. In a metropolitan area, such as we live in now, it's a bit different since it's mainly new and exciting construction and concrete we encounter. I also remember fun things we did as children, but one of my very favorite memories was when my brother and I dug a deep hole in the backyard. (We had the great idea of making an underground lair beneath our shed ... well, we were kids ... it didn't pan out, but we still had all kinds of drawings about the final results.)
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment