Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Dragons at Halloween ... why not?

image credit
At this time of year my mind tends toward the fantastic. And, nothing to me is more fantastical that dragons. Every culture seems to have them, and the variety is astounding. Maybe it's our way of putting form to the terrors of the night, but many dragons are considered good luck and not terrifying at all. There's a great video called "Dragon's World" which tries to put modern science to prove how dragons might exist (sure, it's goofy and silly, but I love the idea and it does have some pretty neat ideas). Still, dragons are magical and fun and marvelous to imagine.
 
I've been watching some cooking shows and saw a pretty neat preview where a pumpkin was carved into a dragon. I have absolutely no skill in art, so I'm dazzled by the effort. There are sculptures in ice, butter, clay, marble, and even fireworks (yup, watch the first Lord of the Rings movie, Fellowship of the Ring, to see what I mean). Humans are imaginative in their art, so I doubt there's any substance that hasn't been used for making a dragon.
 
I wonder if I can dress up like a dragon for Halloween? Hmm ... I'm getting a disturbing vision of me belching hot sauce. I've never been much for dressing up, but this year could be different. I did dress as Superman once, but mostly I was in a sheet with holes cut for eyes (just like Charlie Brown). I didn't have much zest for creativity with my costumes. Oh well.
 
- M
 
Hmm, maybe just a dragon's head?

No comments:

Post a Comment