Saturday, October 31, 2015

Trick or Treat! Handing out candy...

Jerry Seinfeld has a great bit about Halloween. Paraphrasing a bit, it goes something like, "You mean there's a day when kids get to go to a stranger's house and beg for candy? Really? And, it's okay? They even get upset if you don't?" It really is a crazy tradition, but also so much fun. As a parent with teenagers, I'm now at the opposite side of things where I'm the one handing out treats. And, I'm actually looking forward to it. Not just because I'll see a bunch of kooky costumes, but for the simple pleasure of making children happy.
 
I've never seen a cuter dog!
I know the origins of the holiday, and many of the gruesome tales about events that have happened. But, American culture has diluted any symbolism into caricatures that mean nothing much at all to most of us. Right now it's as much a reason to have candy as Christmas and Easter and Valentine's Day. It's probably because we love candy and will create nearly any reason to get more. I think it really is that simple.
 
So, are you going to dress up? I plan on covering myself in paint and breathing fire like a dragon ... well, probably not. Truth is, I've never been much for costumes (I was always a ghost--a sheet with two holes cut in it). But, I was really good at it! I even faked out my grandparents once by duck-walking around and speaking in a high voice. Yup, I totally fooled them! I am the pinnacle of stealth and deception ... yarr!
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment