Saturday, August 13, 2016

Tribute to all the repair people out there!

Mechanics, appliance repair, HVAC, roofers, and every other type of repair occupation, I salute you all. You are there at some of our most trying times. Well, at least our most complaining times. I'm sure you hear more complaints per day than the rest of us can imagine. We are currently dealing with our air conditioner deciding against being in working order. I can't say I cried when I called in for the repair, but I practically begged them to come out today (after all, these things seem always to happen on weekends rather than conveniently during the week).
 
You all are so willing to squeeze in one more desperate customer, even when your days are already filled to overflowing. It must be a terrific juggling act. Yes, you're well paid for your efforts, but I still think a thank you is deserved. People tend to only thank once the trouble is solved. I wanted to preempt that and give thanks simply for your availability. Services occupations can be difficult, thankless, and generally disheartening. I thank you all. Without your willingness, this would be a much darker place.
 
Isn't it odd how the celebrated jobs are hardly ever service jobs? Young children want to be astronauts, firemen, Formula 1 racers, and other exciting things, but I can't say I've ever heard a kid say, "Yup, I'm going to repair air conditioners for a living!" Maybe you would if your parents did, but it's just not a glamorous profession. Perhaps that will change, but so long as entertainers and athletes capture the spotlight, I doubt it. Until then, I tip my hat to all the heroic repair crews and give my heartfelt thanks!
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment