Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Days fly by so fast now, I wonder why I ever thought time went by slowly?

Today is Tuesday? Wow, what happened to Monday? Wait ... did I go to work?
 
When I was younger, it seemed like the calendar never made it to Saturday. Clocks had painted-on dials. And, my dad's lectures would never end (yup, my children, I know the feeling well--it's my pleasure to pass it along). Somewhere along the line of my life, time has shifted its nature and turned into a cannonball that refuses to slow down. I close my eyes for a little rest and open them just in time to go to bed. I enjoy my weekend, only to discover I missed my blog post and it's Tuesday. And, I go to turn the page on my calendar, only to realize I'm three months behind!
 
Yes, little children, old people really do experience time in a strange manner. I'm not sure how it works, but somehow time behaves at radically different speeds. Maybe if Einstein had worked on my time theory we could have even greater discoveries beyond the measley E=MC(squared)--yes, that's a joke, but maybe we'd find out where socks go in the dryer because their behavior isn't possible either. Sure, I'm fully aware it's all in how we pay attention, yet there is a definite truism that as you age you'll find time passing swifter and faster as it rushes along.
 
It's enjoyable to poke fun at how we experience time. Yup, boring tasks take forever, whereas a wonderful swimming pool party lasts only moments. When we are fully engaged at work and busy, time is fleeting, but toss a load of dull things to do and the clock never moves. If you've noticed, there aren't clocks in doctor's offices--because if there were, you'd easily notice how long you've been waiting. How about the snooze feature of alarms? Why is it there? Does an extra 5 minutes of sleep really matter? If not, then why do we hit snooze? If it does, then why set the alarm so early? I know people who set their clock 10 minutes fast, so they trick themselves into thinking they're almost late ... they also probably play a great game of Hide and Seek with themselves...
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment