Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Heat! Wow am I happy for air conditioning!

Some things we just take for granted, until they break and you're left without them. Air conditioning is one of those. Like many people, I'm sensitive to heat (following sun strokes and heat strokes), so I love it when it's cool. But, when the wonderful machinery goes kaplooey, it really highlights how much I take modern comforts for granted. Also, I want it fixed NOW! Yup, I'm impatient about my comforts.
That got me thinking about how many other conveniences have moved into the category of need for us city dwellers. I certainly couldn't catch my own food, or build my own house, or even send coherent messages long distance without modern equipment. It's amazing how fast we become slow and inefficient ourselves--while at the same time expecting others to do such things faster and faster. I can't say I like knowing that about myself, but at least I'm aware. With that awareness comes a duty to learn (I've got some great books on survival, that I'll read at some point...).
 
My question is this: what conveniences have become needs for you? How would you fare if suddenly all your electricity was cut and you were left to your own devices? Studies don't paint a favorable view. So, be happy for what we have now. Take care of your equipment, and learn how to make do without. Enjoy life, whatever state you find yourself in.
 
Oh, and stay out of the heat!
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment