Monday, August 17, 2015

Maps and ancient lands...

Part of my childhood was spent staring at maps. Old, new, distant, near. I didn't care. I just like them. I love the shapes of nature (especially coastlines) and how it all fits together. It still impresses me. One of my favorites is still the map of the "Lonely Mountain" in the beginning of "The Hobbit." I love the simplicity and the mystery--maps with secret codes, neat! Probably because of it I still draw my own and still enjoy secret languages.

Fantasy worlds typically have their own maps, hopefully done in such a way so the reader can reference it easily. The popular "Game of Thrones" world is like that, and is vast and complex and has all sorts of interesting nooks and crannies. I think it gives a nice little nudge to the imagination and helps the audience accept the world faster and with fewer complications. Of course, then the story must match the map, but I think it helps more than it hurts. Without a map, the world is a hopeful generalization, imagined better or worse by the varied audiences.

One thing I'd love to collect is a really old, ancient, map of verified authenticity. Well, maybe two or three, but still old and filled with uncertainty. And, beside them hopefully a map of the "Lonely Mountain." And, perhaps a sword or two, maybe a shield, and a poleaxe. Perhaps some wood panels, shelves, a lift to another floor, railings, and books everywhere in shelves to the ceiling. Yup, I have my dream room already designed.

This is the writer's annex of my dream office.
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment