Saturday, September 27, 2014

The barely conceivable joys of children at play


I love watching children play. Sure, I'm a parent and that has colored my attitude, but the pure, unbridled joy of children at play is fascinating to watch. They have the capacity to throw themselves entirely into whatever they are doing, and that gives them joy we adults can barely conceive. It doesn't matter if it's watching an anthill, or pretending to be Superman, or having a dress-up tea party. Children know how to play with every core of their being.

Play is part of life, and it certainly trains children how to behave in settings far beyond their playtime. But, it's also straight up joy! Play is fun. I think we adults forget that having fun is still allowed. Encourage it. Go play in the backyard; take your brain off the hook and go run in circles. Whatever the play, take true part in it and have a blast doing it! It's part of life. Enjoy it.

Funny how in books, movies, and stories in general there are hardly any scenes of pure play. Perhaps it's difficult to describe, or even show, because most of the action takes place in the minds of the participants? I don't know. But, I know children are fantastic at it. After all, when was the last time some adult said to another, "Get out there and play." I'm scratching my head, thinking of all the stories I know, and I really can't come up with a single example of play in a story. Maybe I'm being myopic, but I am at a loss. Either way, I want to see it--to experience that pure joy of childhood one more time.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment