Thursday, May 1, 2014

Cutting edge, and taking things to the extreme. Oh, and Superman still rocks!

Over the years I've realized that there are fewer and fewer times when I want to see the bleeding edges of entertainment. There's nothing wrong with it, but for the majority of my entertainment I want nice comfortable normality. I think solid stories can be told without digging into the razor edges of the of society. More even, I believe we need more grounded stories to teach and show how we should behave rather than how certain outside segments do.

I truly believe we need stories that demonstrate strong character, guide and teach, and particularly lift up examples of true heroes (and I don't mean superheroes, but heroes like firemen jumping into burning houses to save trapped children). Those stories are out there, and they make tons of money when the public finds them--which, incidentally underlines our desire for good material. At the same time, the edges should be shown; we can hardly expect to teach without demonstrating what is out there. But, I think the focus shouldn't be quite so harshly pointed at the edge but at the wholesome.



What brought this to mind was watching a recent movie, "Superman Returns" which was hated by critics but did moderately well in the box office. I actually really enjoyed it (though, it does require knowing some things that happened during the previous Superman I & II movies, particularly the part with Lois and Clark actually being married briefly, but I don't want to spoil anything). The movie has a very strong heroic setting, and Superman is an incredible hero. Sure, the writing is a bit melodramatic, but the story is quite good and well worth watching. But, what I appreciated most was the wholesomeness of the displays of honest families. There was true respect displayed. I found it refreshing.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment