Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Creepy little buggers!



Bugs are creepy. No doubt about it. There's just something wrong about all those legs, the ways they move, the incredible way they manage to survive against all odds. I'm not afraid of them, and I've heroically defended my family against many swarms of them. But, they are as close to alien as I can imagine. It's actually pretty interesting just how many of the aliens movies create are bug-like.

I love to study them actually, and find many of their abilities marvelous. Still, there's a lot of aspects to them that are highly unsettling. Maybe it's all the eyes? Whatever it is, bugs are fantastic inspiration for aliens and alien cultures. I can't even count the number of famous aliens designed around ants, or spiders. Bugs of all kinds really are amazingly important not only to our world but our creativity.

As an exercise in imagination, try coming up with some alien creature that doesn't resemble any Earth bug at all. I've tried it, and failed miserably. Try it yourself. Maybe you'll become one of the great artists that creates a fantastic new world that people will cause a wave of new books, movies, art, and music. Who knows. A simple exercise in imagination can create all kinds of wonders.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment