Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Eyeglass cleaners are a sign of an advanced civilization

image credit
I wear eyeglasses, and I frequently need to clean them. There are plenty of methods available: bottom of your shirt, facial tissue, lint-free cleaning clothes, solution-soaked wipes, spray solutions, and the good-ole spit and polish. What matters is that whatever you use, your glasses need to wind up clean. The trouble I've found is that there's usually a sheen of oil on the inside and only a good cleaner will take it away.
 
The wonders of civilization are numerous. We normally point to the major things, like electricity and so on, but I think it's the little conveniences that are the true wonders. I wonder how long we'd live without can openers, or cigarette lighters (mainly for their fire starting ability), and even something as simple as comfortable shoes. Have you ever considered just how much of our daily lives are thanks to cheap plastics? What about drinkable water? And, what about that chair you're sitting on?
 
I'm trying to point out that we take a lot of things for granted. It's easy to think that all these conveniences will always be there, no matter what. But, things aren't like this everywhere. Many places don't even have clean water from a tap, or electricity, or proper sanitation. There are incredible people and organizations who's sole purpose in life is to bring these modern things to the people without them. That's pretty amazing.
 
So, yes, eyeglass cleaner is incredible and I won't take it for granted ... I promise.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment