Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Star Wars thoughts on "The Last Jedi"

So, the new Star Wars movie has a title: "The Last Jedi." Yummy. Of course, there's not rampant speculation about what it means, what this new revelation foretells about the story, and everyone is going bonkers online about it. I've stayed away from such speculation for the most part, mainly because I only want a good story and refuse to let guesses spoil it all for me. In this case, however, I feel like stepping in and offering my thoughts. Take them or leave them, I'm no fortune teller.

To me, this title is exactly what I was expecting. The entire Jedi/Sith idea is being rewritten, so a fresh and new idea can take it's place. This is more than passing the baton to the next runner, it is a change of the overall picture. In the past, there's always been Jedi and Sith and there's pretty tight restrictions on the story because of it. "The Last Jedi" could simply mean that the very concept is ending. Remember, the original Star Wars was written as a "Hero's Journey." It's a great story framework. In it, many times, the mentor figure goes away (by death or otherwise leaving) in the middle of the story, so the fresh hero can face the world on their own. My hope is this is what's happening for Star Wars episode 8.

So, following these thoughts, what I come up with is a question. Will Luke fight someone, as Ben Kenobi did against Darth Vader? Or, will Luke allow himself to fade away, like an old cowboy hero riding into the sunset? Will they pay homage, or blaze a new trail? I don't know and hope nobody spoils the surprise. I'm hope we receive a wonderful story. In the end, the story carries our hearts, not the visuals. George Lucas said as much in an old interview. I'm hoping the story again takes primary focus.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment