Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Movie reviews -- oddities that I enjoy but somehow didn't do well

Taste is an unknown factor, particularly in movies. For various reasons, some stories just don't hit the big time and fall flat on their faces. I'd like to discuss a few that I enjoy, which makes me weird and odd. Such is life.

image credit
The first is a recent Johnny Depp flop called "Transcendence." (Budget $100 million, box office $103 million). It's about artificial intelligence, though not truly as the main character actually uploads his consciousness into a computer (yes, just like "Lawnmower Man" did). The story is about the concept, not the characters, which is always a touchy thing to do. However, the main failing is that the supposed good guys are horrible people and the purported bad guys are sympathetic, so there's no clear right and wrong. Despite this, the concept is actually pretty good--does having machine parts make you less human? I enjoy how everything proceeds in logical sequence. To me, it's a milieu story, where the characters just flow and bob to the discoveries being made. Let it wash over you and the movie makes sense.

Another is "Bourne Legacy" starring Jeremy Renner, and is the fourth Bourne movie. (Budget $125 million, box office $276.1 million). The story takes place parallel to the third Bourne movie ("The Bourne Ultimatum"). The main character is another super spy, and is absolutely capable and brutal in any circumstance. Many audiences expected more action, and I don't understand. The action is similar to the very first Bourne film, and the super spy just as invincible. The plot follows a man thrown to the wolves, who doesn't have a clue why and everyone is trying to kill him. Yup, typical spy story and it's fun. Just let the story run with it and you'll enjoy the race.

"Les Misérables" (1998 film) starring Liam Neeson. (Not sure about budget, box office $14.1 million). Of all the film adaptations, this one nails the book's story and has people you genuinely will care about. I adore this film. The central conflict of the book is redemption and forgiveness. The hero exhibits these traits, and the protagonist doesn't. Even if you haven't read the book, this film won't let you down. You understand their desires. You feel their pains and sorrows. You chomp at lost opportunity and reach for hope at every turn. Liam Neeson is incredible as the starring role. I truly don't understand why this film did so poorly. This is the only version I've purchased and kept--I won't even bother with the new all singing version (sorry, but I hate it).

Like I said, taste is a curious thing. And, yes, I know I'm odd ... thanks for noticing.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment