Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Colloquial witticisms, or learning your own language all over again

Here in America there's a lot of fun to be had by going to different states and finding out that despite them speaking the same language, you can't figure out what it is they're actually saying. Typically this means using phrases can be wildly different, or the way things are said are strange, and probably words also don't mean the same things. My favorite example is soda pop, or cola, or pop, or Coke, or fizzy drinks. All those words describe the same carbonated sweet beverage. Comedians have made lots of money making fun of this reality, and like any good humor the truth makes it hilarious.

It's interesting to me how varied language is. English is my language, yet there's dozens of dialects and completely different vocabularies used throughout the world. I particularly enjoy the British and Australian versions, and love picking up new uses of words (or entirely new ones). I can only assume that other languages are the same way. Human beings just aren't content to leave things alone, and are sure to come up with new ways of doing anything--just think of how many times the wheel has been reinvented?


Yup, clear as mud. Am I supposed to read this in passing, or sit and work it out on my own time?
Of course, this can also cause unexpected confusion. If you're in the southern part of the United States and ask for a Coke, you might be asked which one you want? (Hint: if you want Coca Cola, ask for that instead.) This is a simple example, but imagine asking for directions and getting a detailed answer that doesn't appear correct as you follow it. Probably whoever gave you help used colloquial words specific to the region. Pity you didn't know them. Isn't that funny? Yup, I'm laughing my sides off as I haul off and belt down a good one...

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment