Monday, September 9, 2013

How to Win Friends and Influence People

My apologies to Dale Carnegie for the title, but that really is what people in stories do, isn't it? After all, if characters aren't somehow relatable then who wants to spend time with them, especially over the course of a book, or even a movie. So, what's the key to it all? How do characters become favorites, or even celebrities?

Well, my opinion is that nobody really knows for sure. Why is Han Solo so much more likable than Luke Skywalker? Why is Hermione Granger more fun than Snape? Right there I'm sure there are many people who disagree with me, and rightly so. This is all based on feelings and opinions. I suppose there aren't any real guidelines to it all, other than create what you like and others might just like it too.

There is one other aspect, and it comes from that wonderful world of when people like it and tell other people. Word of mouth. Sometimes, magically, the story takes on a life of its own and people just can't stop talking about it. When that happens, one of the wonders of the modern world occurs--the story goes nuclear and explodes all over the world. I've seen it several times in my life, and I can't help but be impressed every time.

What am I getting at this time? I'm saying that if you have a story idea, then get out there and make it happen. Who knows. Maybe yours will become the next wonder that fills our world with fresh imagination!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment