Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Sounds and soundtracks

I'm a huge fan of movie soundtracks, especially when the music and the soundtracks blend together to make the movie even better. Of course, there's also the sounds that make your heart skip a few beats and shorten your life at the same time. There have been so many great movie themes, that it's even spawned its own genre of music.

Music seems to have its own interior story--probably not all music, but a lot of it does. I'm sure that has to do with harmonies and counter-rhythms and other such things. Whatever the real reason, I enjoy closing my eyes and letting the music create scenes in my head and making my own personal daydream. What is the old saying? "Music is food for the soul." Or, something like that.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting.

Now for those movie sounds. There's jump-scare sounds, and folly sounds (noises they make after the movie has been shot, to make the heels on concrete or a punch and so on). Weather sounds, and background noises. Funny how horror/scary movies become much less so simply by turning off the sound. Let's face it, the sounds make up a huge portion of the experience of a movie. Bad sounds can make a movie lousy, just as much as good sound can lift up a movie.

I guess that's my random thought for now. Until next time...

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment