Thursday, September 19, 2013

Ode to The Outer Limits

One of the science fiction shows that I grew up with was The Outer Limits. It was black and white, very low budget, but the stories were absolutely dynamite! One of my favorite episodes dealt with a shack out in the middle of a dusty valley, visited by a couple with a broken down car of course. And, the big baddie was?... wait for it ... tumbleweeds! Yup, I'm not kidding. Attacking tumbleweeds. I won't spoil it, but the end result was fantastic. Probably the dumbest story idea I've ever witnessed, but done brilliantly by the quality of writing. That's what made The Outer Limits so incredible.

The show had a wonderful revival in the 90s that lasted 7 seasons. Like the original, the focus was on quality of writing and, because of that, there were only a few episodes that weren't good. Really, the whole set of shows were fantastic.

I do miss having such shows around. Shows were every episode stands alone--anthology shows I think they used to be called. They didn't stress your brain much, like short stories for the television. Anyway, there's certainly a place for them. Actually, I wouldn't mind dumping a few reality shows so we could get back to more story driven shows.

So, check out The Outer Limits, the original series and the new series.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment