Monday, September 23, 2013

Quotable, favorite, wonderful, lines that tickle the mind

Most writing teachers, and probably most writers, will say that the first things edited out of a manuscript are their "favorite lines." Yet, the audience usually grabs onto them with passion and they become part of the culture. Like, "Leave the gun, take the cannoli." (apparently ad-libbed by the actor on the spot) Or, how about, "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." (was supposed to be "for A man" but it's still understood that way I'm sure) So, one line came on the spur of the moment, and the other probably had committee hearings to get it right.

I love looking through history and finding things like this. It's pretty obvious in our American culture that many of our lines come from movies and song lyrics, probably because those are most easily put into little sound bites or quick snaps... "I'll be back." Hee hee, Arnold had some wonderful lines--though I suspect it was mostly the way he said things that made them memorable.

Anyway, so when I'm editing I usually wipe out my favorite, pet, lines because they just aren't any good. However, there are times I wonder about it. I wonder how many quotable lines have drifted to the trash can? I wonder how many good lines never made it to the page? And, I wonder if wondering about wondering is too much.

Yeah, okay, that last line wasn't good. But, was it memorable?

- M

ps. No, didn't think so either.

No comments:

Post a Comment