Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Lessons from my brother

My brother, the pilot
My brother is a pilot. The enormity of that statement is pretty incredible, since I can't think of a single time in my life when he wanted to be anything else. He was a military pilot first and has now moved into commercial piloting. I have no doubt he is in the top echelon of ability (as he proved so well in the military that he became an instructor pilot and did the check rides of all the base officers). But, watching him reach and grasp his dream isn't all of what he taught me.

Despite all our arguing, fights, antagonizing, pestering, chiding, bullying, yelling and generally acting like siblings, my brother taught me the importance of many things. He demonstrated a vast love of reading (though he is a speed reader and I cherish every word), gave me the ability to analyze situations for possible gains, instilled a deep yearning for protecting those I care about, showed me that two people working together are far better at making things happen than a single person alone, and probably the most important of all: that brothers stick together forever.

I regret the times I haven't felt this way. Yes, as a child we were cruel to each other, as siblings often are, but I'm more mature now and I have set those memories aside. I love my brother. Because of him, I know there is always a man I can turn to for help and support. We don't talk as much as I'd like, though we nearly always find something to laugh about when we do. Life just wouldn't be the same without him.

For those of you with brothers and sisters, I pray you will cherish them with all your being. Life is uncertain and often tragic. What a shame it would be to lose them, with thoughts unsaid or love unexpressed. Poetically speaking, your family shares your heartbeat and feel your pains and triumphs in equal measure. Let them know.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment