Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Love is incredible.

Image by: Amanda
I am married and my wife has given me three incredible children. I was thinking about love, and thought back on parenting advice I've often heard: "Don't have a favorite child." I was confounded by the concept. It didn't seem possible. Yet, as a father, I can honestly say my love is total for each of my children. My heart isn't split four ways. It's full. I love them all completely, unequivocally, and without condition. You see, love is like that. You can love all of your children with your whole heart. If you are blessed with another child, your heart will embrace the gift absolutely and won't break. It's a miracle of life.

I'll never forget the births of my children. My wife and I happily counted the days until the expected time, then struggled through the process, and finally a fresh life entered the wide world. I can't imagine another time when such overwhelming love will wrap around me. Breathtaking. The yearning and joy and hope which infuses a crying and wriggling little baby is mind boggling. Yet, no matter how many are added, your heart happily adds another without missing a beat. There is never-ending room inside the wellspring of love. What an incredible gift love is!

Maybe this is why we value love so highly? True love is cherished and treasured, while betrayal of that love is hated and despised. It's a sign of something greater in our lives, and we yearn for it. Greek tragedies often center around the single concept of lost love, and modern romances are practically dripping with it. Love crosses all barriers, brings us closer, and binds us in ways too deep to express.

I have an answer to an old riddle: "What do you give the person who has everything?"

Give them love.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment