Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Sleep ... you are feeling sleepy ...

I've always been someone who enjoys being awake at night. We call such people, "night owls." Yes, I realize it's kind of silly, considering owls are known to be active at night, so why not just say "owls" without the "night" in it? I don't know, but it's the phrase. I love the dropping temperatures, the quiet atmosphere (people usually go inside and to bed), and the darkness. My mind is clearer at night, and it's when I get the majority of my writing accomplished. I love it. But, the night is when we naturally sleep, so I also run up against the need to close my eyes fighting against my desire to finish whatever I'm working on. Yup, it's tough being me...


Angel, our cat, absolutely terrifying!
Are you getting sleepy yet? I've read that yawns are oddly psychologically infectious, with the prodding being so powerful that simply reading about stifling a yawn is enough to make readers want to stretch and get out a good yawn. What yawns do for us is still a mystery, but our bodies love doing it and we sure enjoy the feeling too. I will say that when our cats do it, they look positively EVIL! Trust me, if you haven't seen a cat yawn, it will make your skin crawl. Yeesh. I think their real nature slips out a bit at the end of a yawn.

Our bodies apparently have a sleep cycle rhythm that impacts our health and happiness. I'm of the opinion that it's incredibly easy to break the cycle and throw ourselves into chaos. It's too easy to burn the candle at both ends, working late and rising early, cutting short our sleep to no good effect. At some point, our bodies must recharge and relax its burdens. Sleep is essential to our health (some very terrifying experiments have proven this beyond all doubt), so I am doing my level best to lull you all into a comfortable and leisurely bliss ... and then you will sleep without a care or worry. Let your eyelids slide down and carry you into dreams of fantasy and imagination.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment