Saturday, July 14, 2018

I am so very happy to live in the time I'm in now, at this moment ... in time.

I often hear people say that times were better in the past, before everyone got in such a hurry. While this is an interesting perspective, I really don't want to go back to the days of no indoor air conditioning, ice boxes, horse and buggy, or writing with quills. If you want the sensation of those times, there are places you can go to experience it and then return to the modern world. Sure, people weren't as rushed, and that's not good, but also didn't live as long as we do now. Science has advanced to the point where we are thinking very seriously of populating other planets! Incredible.
image credit
The point I hope to make is that we enjoy looking back on days of our youth with eyes colored by nostalgia and happy memory. While I agree that our lives are invariably simpler as children, the times are certainly better today than ever before. The technology available to us is dizzying. I do understand that many places don't have access to these wonders, and for that I'm truly sad. Wouldn't it be grand if everyone had whatever they needed? But, the world doesn't work that way, does it?

Despite our feelings, time marches on and on and on. Unless we stop inventing things, technology will also march forward, as will our desire for more. Isn't it funny how happiness and contentment change when we see new things? However, there are many advances which only came about due to dissatisfaction with the statue quo. Is it bad to improve things? Of course not. That's why I'm very happy to live in the now and not in the then ... in time ... I mean present ... the current ... today.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment