Saturday, July 7, 2018

Knots and Ropes and Confusion

Since a child, I've loved knots. No, not because I'm good at them, but because they infuriate me. How is it possible for shoelaces to be correctly tied, yet when you pull the ends they turn into Gordian Knots (a mythological knot so complex nobody could ever untie it ... it was defeated with a good sharp blade). Sure, I understand what happens, yet these knots are frequently so tight that I am completely unable to undo them. I suppose any knot is difficult when pulled with great strength, plus my fingernails are always short so I don't have much prying ability.

The vast array of knots is inspiring. Think about it. A length of rope can be twisted in such a way as to tighten under stress or release itself when yanked, to join pieces together or form loops, to guide horses and hang pottery. Some are purely for ornamentation, while some are objects of attack. If there is a job to be done, it's likely a knot can be employed to do it. I have a book in my office about knots, and there are over 200 kinds, with pictures showing the methods and uses. It's bewildering. I suspect you could spend a lifetime learning them and never untwist them all.

Sailors are often tested on their seamanship by tying knots. It's a show of intellect, cunning, and knowledge. Knots do indeed make fabulous riddles, such as the Gordian Knot, and are woefully forgotten. We no longer teach them, hardly use any (beyond our shoes), and have lost the sense of their many capabilities. Is modern life so technological that we don't need to use knots anymore? It makes me sad. Sure, knots raise my blood pressure, but that's not a good reason to get rid of them. Maybe there's still time to bring knots back to the forefront? I hope so.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment