Saturday, July 26, 2014

Camp, a summer tradition.

Whenever I think of camp I'm reminded of the hilarious song by Allan Sherman, "Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah." The song touches such a funny chord because we've all had such experiences. That's the joy of humor, because it twitches against real life in a corny way that makes us laugh. But, camp is so much more than fun. We learn tremendous lessons about life and ourselves.

Camp is a setting we all know, or at least know about. It's relatable, which is probably why the Percy Jackson series has as campground as its main setting. As an audience, we don't need much information to fill out a complete setting. It's simple, easy, and fun. Not many settings are so instantly recognizable.

There are so many great stories to tell about camp, and I doubt I remember them all. I tend to completely forget the bad things, so I have no doubt at all that camp wasn't always roses and balloons, but it really doesn't matter. Fond memories are part of life, and I think we lean toward making highlight reels when we reminisce.

I hope your camping days the best, and I toast all the newest memories.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment