Monday, July 28, 2014

Quilting, Knitting, and Sewing in General


My wife loves quilting. She's currently making what are called Hexagon Quilts, and is heavily interested in it. I think what she makes is amazing. There is no way I'd have the patience to put such a piece of art together. And what is especially incredible is that there are little paper backings that you use to keep it all together, then take off when it's all connected, so that you can use it again and again and again. Yikes!

Sewing is one of those miraculous things that I would never do in a million years. It bores me, but I'm fascinated watching my wife piece things together. It's like watching a sunset grow in front of your eyes. Magical. Mysterious. Inspiring.

I have great admiration for anyone willing to put in the massive number of hours required to make quilts. The end result is warm, beautiful, and a great heirloom for the family. There are so many varieties of quilts, it boggles my mind (though I should expect such, because we humans are endlessly creative).

So, I tip my hat to all of you who sew. May your needles be sharp and your thumbs protected.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment