Saturday, July 12, 2014

Treasure boxes, and my own box of special things

Some time ago my father brought home from Ecuador a nicely carved ivory-inlaid desk box. It became my treasure box, where I stored any trinket I valued. I've since added a bullet from Gettysburg (found by my grandparents before it became illegal to pick up such things), ash from the eruption of Mt. St. Helens, and a long series of neat items that I still treasure. Funny how items become valuable purely because of emotional connections to events or people. Maybe one day my box will actually contain treasure!

Since I was a kid, I've loved the idea of hidden treasure. Sadly, the concept of buried pirate treasure isn't very true, though there are some real cases I'll bet. However, that hasn't stopped people from searching for buried treasure all over the globe. Finding treasure is everyone's secret dream, I think, because it represents sudden wealth. If it wasn't, then shows like "Antique's Roadshow" wouldn't be popular, and people wouldn't buy metal detectors to go to beaches and find shiny goodies.

Because of all this, I'm a sucker for a good treasure story. The movies, "National Treasure" 1 and 2, are among my most played--partly because they are great popcorn movies, but also due to the riddles and treasure seeking. It seems every generation has a fine treasure story crop up at some point. That's a good thing, because I believe we all need adventure stories that dangle shiny objects in front of us. Bring on the treasure!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment