Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Little eccentricities that define us -- or how weird are you really?

Do you have any eccentricities? Any quirks, oddities, or crazy things about you?

I'm sure my kids could make quite the list, but for me it's my music. My best friend laughs because I actually have a sound check in my playlist. Honest. It checks left and right speakers, but I love it. It's catchy to me. If you read this, Bert, yup I still listen to it on occasion. But, one of my favorites is a wildly popular worldwide sensation most Americans have never heard of: Jean Michael Jarre (he actually holds several world records for most attendance at concerts, something like 2 million at one of his outdoor concerts). Anyway, if you've never heard Oxygene part 2, then take a listen because I'll bet you recognize it.

I think deep down we like the crazy stuff we humans do. It makes us more real, less perfect, and completely baffling. If aliens ever do show up, we will be as indecipherable to them as they are to us. Truly, we can't even keep our languages from changing over a mere hundred years, not to mention all the languages that have vanished entirely.

There is such tremendous versatility in the worlds around us that we pick up something we like and never let go. In many ways we are just a collection of stuff we like. There's nothing wrong with admitting it now and again.

So, go out and freak your friends out by showing something you've never let go before. Revel in your silliness, and flare those quirks. It's good for you!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment