Monday, February 29, 2016

Tribute to a brother by marriage, tragedy will never dim his memory

Russ
I have one sibling in my own family, but many brothers through my wife's. One in particular was immediately like an older brother. Russ was at once odd, fun, wise, goofy, solid and real. He never pretended to be someone else, like so many of us do. He was exactly who he was, like it or not. I liked him a lot. Now, he sits at the feet of his Savior.
 
The funny thing about marriage is you get a whole bag-full of relatives along with your sweetheart. In-laws are a scary thing, because you don't know them at all and only care because they are related to your spouse. But, then the magic happens and they become a part of your life as well--a new family. You discover to your surprise that this grab bag is a delicate treasure you don't want to give up. I never expected such a transformation, but Russ especially made it easy.
 
We celebrate beginnings and mourn endings. Tragedy is tough on families. Yet, because of family we survive and thrive. The loss of Russ is deeply felt, especially due to the suddenness of it, and still his presence will remain in our memory. I wish I had known him better, and I still will as I hear stories and tales of his days gone bye.
 
We loved you, Russ.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment