Monday, February 8, 2016

A fairy tale engagement

Many people have asked to hear our engagement story, because it's a bit unusual. I wanted to make it something very special for her, and a treasured memory for the rest of our lives.
 
We met at a camp, were we both were working on staff for the summer. Three states away from our homes, and we noticed each other the first night. We kicked a rock back and forth, then I bent down and noticed it was in the shape of a heart (I still have it in my memory chest). The next day, coming back from town in the camp bus, we showed each other little quirks--I have a bent finger that wiggles oddly, she can pop her hip in and out, I can cross my eyes and make them shake, she can make claws with the very first knuckle of her fingers. Yup, we instantly liked each other. She has the most wonderful laugh!
 
After three days I called home and told my father that I had a girlfriend (my first in actuality). She became my best friend immediately. I told her everything, even secrets nobody else knew. Talking together was natural, desired, and more fulfilling than anything I'd experienced to that point. We never interfered with our duties as camp staff, but we wrote letters to each other every day (three, four, five times a day). At night, we snuck out and sat under the stars and talked about the future, our hopes and dreams, and anything else that came to mind.
 
After a while, the attraction between us was pretty obvious (despite our attempts to hide it). Even an exchanged glance was enough to give us away. By the middle of the summer we were holding hands. At the weekly campfire for the campers, I told her I loved her (actually, she did first and then I responded back). We would go for walks at night and talk even more. It was a magical time.
 
At the end of the summer, we took a week off and went to visit our folks. I asked her to marry me. She said yes. But, that's not the fun part. We returned to camp and had to hide our engagement so we could be there fore the campers and not each other. But, I had a plan. I told her that I would ask her to marry me at the campfire (last of the summer), in front of everyone--to finally make it public. Thing was, I tricked her.
 
A rodeo was the final big event every week; the campers invited their families and did all kinds of activities. Usually around 200 people were there. Right in the middle of it all, when they were preparing for the pig chase, there was an announcement for "Beth, please come to the other side of the arena..." And then, "No, through the center of the arena." When she came through, I had them play "Pretty Woman" by Roy Orbison. I walked out from the back gate, took the microphone and got down on one knee. The crowd went crazy. I asked her to marry me and she said, "I'd be delighted to." I gave her a diamond ring (actually just cut glass) and a rose.
 
We walked to the bleachers and sat in the crowd. I don't remember any more of the rodeo. I just remember that she glowed like the sun. No woman could ever be as perfect as she. I wish I had a recording of it (someone did tell me they had it filmed and would send a copy, but I never got it). Ah well, the memory is as bright right now as it was 25 years ago.
 
I love you, sweetheart. You're my truest best friend, my companion, my love, and my wife. Forever.
 
Radiant Beth and Goofy Mark
 
- M

3 comments: