Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Cats just don't like taking their medicine ...

Having pets is a great part of growing up. Children learn to care for something that's actually totally dependent on them. Also, kids get to enjoy the incredible love pets have for their owners. I think it's one of the very best things for helping children become adults. I grew up with dogs, and my own kids have had cats. It's been great, and the cats have developed amazing bonds with all three of my children. I'm happy.
 
However--
image source
When these curious little creatures need medicine for ailments, they turn into vicious bobcats. I swear I have been chewed on, scratched, mauled, and near blind so many times I've lost count. What's so hard about taking a pill, or taking a bit of medicine? I hate cough syrup, but I'll down it if I must. Cats just don't let you explain it to them. It's not a difficult concept, after all. They just shut off and ignore my comforting pleading. Hey, I'm doing it for their own good--don't they know that?
 
I think it's high time my kids get the joy of this adventure. After all, it's part of animal ownership, right? Of course, I'll be there to enjoy the fireworks. I would be a terrible father if I didn't laugh at the plight of both parties (one of the perks of being a parent, I think). All in good fun, certainly. I'll be there to bandage wounds and pat the little darlings on the head. Hey, growing up is tough, so may as well get a tough skin early. It's for your own good. Honest.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment