Saturday, June 4, 2016

Shouldn't heroes be worth idolizing?

In our modern age, we've gravitated toward heroes who are like us--flawed, broken, and sometimes outright miserable. Batman and Daredevil are two of my favorite superheroes, yet they are also two of the darkest and moodiest heroes. They teach us that we can still be heroes, despite our downfalls. That's a great lesson to teach. But, I also love the Flash and Superman. In contrast, these are heroes who aren't broken and live happy lives. When I was little, I wanted to be the Flash. I looked up to the ideal of being so honest and trustworthy.
Hercules from the Disney movie
I bring this up, because I think we need more heroes we want to emulate. In ancient times, heroes were above reproach and practically gods themselves. That's a bit much, but why not try for heroes who are upright and courageous? Does every hero have to have a dark side? Captain America (in the films at least) is bringing this concept back, and I love it. Even when he was tempted, it was more about loss than a dark side. That is a hero to be copied! Wouldn't every parent be happy to see their kids with that sort of moral fiber and values? (Note: yes, I'm aware of current comics, but that story isn't finished and may not be as it first appeared.)
 
Also, heroes have villains, so it's good writing to draw a stark contrast between the two sides. In the recent "Batman v Superman" I would ask, what's the difference between the heroes and villains? They cause enormous destruction, death, and use untold violence to fit their ends. Not much difference really. Compare that to the Christopher Reeves Superman, or the campy Adam West Batman. True, they were from different days (and even the villains weren't all that vicious), yet there is a big gap between the good guys and bad guys.
 
I am constantly in search of a new hero to support. I think we are seeing a revitalization of the field, due especially to the Marvel movies. And, I hope we continue seeing heroes who value life and liberty far above force and brutality. Hope, faith, and love. Let me put a hero up for display, proudly lauding their courage and good deeds.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment