Saturday, June 25, 2016

3D movies, here to stay or only a gimmick?

1950's advertisement about the new gizmo
Being colorblind prevented me from partaking in the early days of 3D movies (those red/blue lenses did nothing but darken the double image for me). And, the distance between my eyes is very narrow, so the 3D effect didn't work until the new shuttering technology came around. So, I've watched this field as an unbiased outsider for years (it actually started in the 50's, but saw a resurgence in the 80's and on). Now, I'm able to see what others have been talking about. And, so I ask, is it adding something we didn't have before? I'm not against the idea at all, however I'm curious why it's being pushed so forcefully.
 
There is a darkness issue, but I'm certain they'll work that bug out. What I really wonder is do audiences want to be actually immersed in scenes? 3D movies do enjoy the "poke you in the eye" scenes. 3D is similar to watching a stage play, though at distance it has very little "depth" to it. Human eyes tend to lose the 3D effect after around 10 feet (though large objects still produce a slight version). Beyond the technicalities, does 3D improve aspects of movies not utilized before?
 
One of my favorite memories of childhood is going to Disney's Epcot Center and seeing this incredible 3D sampler. It wasn't a movie, but a technical achievement demonstrating the impressiveness of the technology. There were two scenes in particular: a field of flowers with butterflies going all around the theatre, and the Wicked Witch of the West coming on screen and shooting lightning from her fingertips that raked right across my eyeballs. Wow, what a memory! Incredible!
 
Yet, in movies using heavy 3D the effect seems like a parlor trick. Is the story different with the addition of 3D, or is 3D a feature of the experience and not serving the story in any significant way? I vividly remember when we watched "Tron: Legacy" in 3D, there was a preview for "Prometheus" and when they showed the sleep capsules, I was astounded by the depth of field--I could see the holographic displays floating inches over the capsules. Wow, that looks like it's actually there! Perhaps 3D is a technology still searching for it's place in the world of entertainment?
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment