Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Keeping appointments--are your early, late, or exactly on time?

As a child, I was always taught: "If you aren't early, then you're late." Most people of my generation were taught similar things. We expected people to be responsible, without being constantly reminded by alarms and cell phones. Most people wore watches. And, dirt was a new discovery. These days, I see such a relaxed attitude about appointments, it makes me wonder where we all went wrong? Television and movies reinforce being late, because there's so many commercials at the beginning (the last movie we went to started 15 minutes after the posted start time).

So, here's the question: why be early? To me, it demonstrates that I also think the appointment is important. Usually, when you make a schedule, you are agreeing with someone about the times and places. Having worked in a doctor's office, it surprised me how many people would arrive extremely late (sometimes over an hour late) and then be upset when they were asked to reschedule. Maybe it was a surprise appointment? Just found out about it? I doubt it.

I've been thinking of how to have fun with this attitude. You could write something on the calendar with no meaning. Scribble down a time and date, but spill coffee on it so it blurs. Leave off the final two digits of a phone number. Those are only funny if they're made up, though. Actually, jokes with appointments are only funny if they are to hide surprise birthday parties. I don't think anyone would actually laugh about a missed job interview. Okay, never mind. Carry on, folks. Nothing to see here...

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment