Saturday, June 16, 2018

Tribute to fathers

We all have fathers to thank for our lives. It's tragic that not everyone has a father around them, due to myriad circumstances. Fathers teach us so much about men and what it means to grow up. They provide the boundaries and discipline we require to mature. In the ideal, fathers are intimately connected in our lives, are always available and caring. Sure, fathers aren't perfect, nobody is, but their influence on our lives is enormous and lasting.

I think back on my childhood and my father is always a big part. He's my personal hero. I hope one day to be the man he is. Whenever I'm facing a huge decision, I want to know what he thinks. His advice is worth the effort, and there is nobody I want to impress more than him. Being a father myself, I keenly feel the responsibility and pressure to be the best I can be. It's not easy, simple, or applauded for the most part, but the reward is massive.

Amusingly, I promised myself that I wouldn't be the sort of dad who would do long speeches about stuff ... well, my kids have made it clear I've become well known for my speeches. Ah well. My reason is simply to instruct, and sometimes it takes a bit of time to express such things. Apparently dads are like that, so who am I to break tradition now? My deepest hope is to raise children with respect, compassion, and the strength to deal with life. That's what Father's Day means to me.

Happy Father's Day!


- M

No comments:

Post a Comment