Saturday, September 15, 2018

The pleasure of sitting still and being quiet.

My daughter, and my brother, having fun.
Since the very beginning of our lives, we live in a world of spinning excitement, which never quite stops for anything. There's a constant whirl of activity all around us. It seems we fill out lives with so much to do, that we never pause to let it just happen. Watch a baby, as they are incapable of large actions and don't interrupt with lots of talking, and you'll see they keenly observe everything. They want to be involved in the world, but can only interact in a limited way. Yet, they are a part of it all, even without dancing around. Just because you sit still, doesn't mean you're a lump of coal.

I think we forget to stop and be quiet. How frequently do you turn off everything and just sit still? My guess is you had to think about it for a while. Our lives swirl with activity, at times so intense we get headaches from the din. We pine for vacations and to get away from it all. Well, just sit down and relax, without any entertainment or chaotic noise. Anyone can do it. Anyone can take the time. Anyone is in the position, every day, to stop and relax. It's one of the healthiest activities we can undertake, and you'll find that stress doesn't quite pile up like it usually does.

The more technology marches forward, the more I find myself wanting to let less of it into my life. It's funny, because I'm a programmer, a tech nerd, and love computers. But, I also have noticed how there's less personal contact and less community than ever before. We know more about everything and less of everyone. I think my desire to sit quietly and peacefully is a reaction to this. I'd never want less technology, as it has provided a standard of living previously unknown, but I also recognize a need to slow down and enjoy life as it is. Take a moment to sit and be quiet, and listen and dream and live.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment