Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Ode to Dr. Seuss and his immortal wisdom

In 1957, a goofy man created "The Cat in the Hat" and in 830 words turned the world upside down. Reading was never again the same, and teaching children to read became simple and fun. Many years later, in 1990, Dr. Seuss published his magnum opus, "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" With a final bow, this silly little man gave us all the collected wisdom of an entire life, and he did it in 56 pages of more pictures than words! Incredible.

Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel), born March 1904 and died September 1991.

Having grown up in Austria, I didn't have the pleasure of having most of these books as a child. I knew about them, but I didn't really learn to appreciate them until 1990 and I was given "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" That may have been the very first time I saw absolute genius and held it in my hands. This was pure magic, and I cried when I read it. These were words filled with love, hope, and courage for the future. This was a parent's dying words to their young children. It isn't possible to paraphrase this book and make it shorter. It is absolutely perfect. A modern masterpiece.

I hold Dr. Seuss as one of the greatest writers the world has ever seen, if not the absolutely finest in all! Here is someone with a complete mastery over his chosen language. And, he created worlds of goofy landscapes and silly creatures as a satiny bonus. Yes, the level of language is absolutely basic, yet what he did with those few words continues to astonish. I believe writers need to study how Dr. Seuss achieved what he did, or they will lose out on the finest example we have at our disposal.

Dr. Seuss, you are missed, but never forgotten. Your writings will teach and inspire generations long to come. I think it's safe to say, "We love you, Dr. Seuss."

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment