Saturday, June 20, 2015

Ode to My father

My father, with one of his very odd cats.
My father was my very first hero. A man beyond any other. A superhero who could lift me to the sky and throw me among the stars, then safely drop me back to hug his neck. He taught me to be strong, what honor means, and to treat others with respect and compassion. I love my father and he remains my hero to this day. It's often said, but I wouldn't be the man I am without the patient guidance of my father.

Good role models are precious few these days. I really wonder why that is? People in this country generally look to celebrities (typically sports, movie, television, radio, or any other kind of highly visible star) and then wonder why their role models are one-dimensional. Why look to celebrity when your own father has demonstrated how to live since your birth? Choosing role models is one of life's most important tasks. After all, we tend to emulate those we admire; it's only natural.

Dad, I wanted to take this space to thank you for being a steady example, a rock I've built my life upon. You have demonstrated every quality of a mature man that I admire, and I can only hope my own life mirrors your example. Wisdom is at your back and patience in your hands. You are a true hero. You are my hero. And, you are my cherished father. I love you, dad!

- M

1 comment: