Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Swear to me!

Movie tough guys are constantly roughing up baddies and demanding information. One of my favorites lines is when they say, "Swear to me!" Yup. That'll work. Terrified people will admit to anything. But, you also get the opposite end, where someone swears on their mother's grave. In this instance, the oath is a mighty pledge based on honor and reverence. Isn't it interesting how the same statement can be so different in context? That's one of the big reasons language is so difficult to decipher and is among the best secret codes you can make (I love making secret codes).
Batman being tough in "Batman Begins"
The funny thing is, we do this sort of thing constantly. Sarcasm is the fine art of saying what you don't mean and implying something else. Humor is a slippery subject, but I think we can all agree it's better to laugh than sulk. Don't take life too seriously. There's so much hilarity around us, and we fail to notice it most of the time. Swear to me you'll open your eyes! Swear to me!

Ha. That's actually lots of fun to say, though I can't imagine myself being a tough guy who punches baddies in the throat--I'm just a big cuddly teddy bear. Well, I doubt movies will change this sort of thing, but we can still laugh. That's the thing about language anyway, sometimes it's just too strange to take seriously. So, paste a smile on your face and just go along with it.

- M

1 comment: