Monday, November 27, 2017

Tribute to a great man, a great father, a great father-in-law

Norm Porter
The father of my wife passed into glory last week. Gratefully, we were able to see him in the hospital a few days prior, and my wife spent the night at his side. Memories are now all we have, yet his legacy remains in our children and in the lessons and examples he provided. What makes a man great? Glorious victory, or magnificent honor, or clamoring fans, or mighty achievements? No. A man is great by his character, his heart, and his virtue. Norm possessed all three in equal abundance.

He was a quiet man, who smiled plenty and always gave a kind word. Love for his family radiated from him. His calm and reserved manner hid a deep sense of humor and powerful feelings. I'll never forget when it was the day before I married his daughter, when he took me aside and said, "Now, we haven't discussed the dowry..." I choked out some reply, and then a huge smile overtook his face and he laughed. I'll never forget it. Norm Porter was indeed a great man.

Life is a journey, a road we all take, with but one destination. In the end, we leave behind a legacy. Norm's legacy is his children, grandchildren, friends, and a powerful faith which sustained him and his wife throughout. He is a role model to be cherished, emulated, and remembered. I loved him and regarded him as a personal hero. His passing has made this world a poorer place, and enriched Heaven even more. God bless you, Norm Porter.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment