Wednesday, November 22, 2017

I'm getting a headache ... no problem, here's a carrot.

Why does an apple a day keep the doctor away? How does eating carrots make your eyes better? Does drinking water upside down really cure hiccups? Where did all these silly traditions come from? And, why do we persist in believing them? For me, it's all in good fun. Wherever the idea of carrots for eyes came from, it sure didn't work in my case. Yes, I know vitamins are important, but my eyesight is horrid and no vitamins will cure that. But, it's fun to joke about eating carrots.

There are plenty of wild and wacky medical inventions created throughout the years. I enjoy searching for devices from the 1800's especially, because some seem at the outset like possibly good ideas ... and then you see the device and wonder just what particular plant they were smoking when they came up with the idea? I wonder how many sold? I suppose they did great business, because there sure were lots of insane inventions on the market. You never know, maybe they even did some good.

Based on this history, I'm betting we'll always have ridiculous ideas (I remember the grapefruit diet, among others). People are keen to find new and revolutionary methods to improve health, despite no evidence whatsoever. Also, there's plenty who will believe anything so long as it's advertised in an attractive way--watch any state fair steak knives sales pitch and you'll agree. Ideas are quick, easy, sometimes work, sometimes don't. But, without ideas, we go stagnant ... so, keep up with the apples and carrots, just don't expect it to work all the time.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment