Friday, November 3, 2017

Have a cookie, you'll feel a lot better.

Do you have a favorite treat that makes you feel all warm and loved? For me, it's cookies fresh from the oven and still hot. Sit me down with chocolate-chip cookies, pour a glass of milk, and I'll be a puddle of joy for the next half hour. Am I reliving my childhood? No, not really. What it actually reminds me of is a secure home, happy childhood, and wonderful family. Tastes and smells are powerful memory stimulators, also, food is a way of forming bonds and relationships.


image credit
I think we enjoy giving loved ones something special, with the intent of making them feel how special they are to us. There's a cherished glory about these times--events which are beyond counting in importance. It's in these times when we demonstrate our best humanity. We give, without thought of reward or accolade. We offer something of ourselves, and the recipient becomes full of new life. If there is any magic in our world, this is where it lies. Giving, and expecting no return, is miraculous and we should encourage it as often as we think of it.

But, there's something really special about cookies. The word is fun to say, the ingredients are as varied as there are ideas, and they are so very good to eat! Plus, if you get them warm and soft, they simply melt in your mouth. Send them as gifts, treats, or bribes. Cookies are amazingly versatile. Oh, and I've heard that if you drink milk along with cookies, then they are calorie-free ...

- M

ps. Okay, I admit cookies aren't calorie-free, but it's a fun thing to say anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment