Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Survivor's tales

I've been studying documentaries about natural disasters recently, and one thing that is very striking is a very understandable guilt the survivors have. Many express desires to make their lives matter in a big enough way to honor those who didn't make it. Others are dismayed by their survival while others died. We humans have a tough time dealing with surviving, or at least many do. But, despite all this, what I saw in the survivors was a singular expression of gratitude.

When I was younger, I read the Reader's Digest all the time. My favorite section was "Drama in Real Life." The stories were impressive, but they were told in such a way as to really demonstrate the inner thoughts of the people living them. I'd say that most of them were riveting and taught me a tremendous amount about how to pace real stories. And, the knowledge that the events were real (possibly exaggerated, but real nonetheless) granted a sense of power to the stories I've not seen anywhere else.

I think survivor's tales offer valuable insight into how people respond in extraordinary situations. There's greatness in all of us, and these tales demonstrate it. Whatever the outcome, people who survive tremendous tragedy come out changed. and never forget it. By sharing their stories it offers a coping mechanism, but also gives direct personal historical accounts. That's valuable for everyone. I pray survivors are comforted and find their sorrows healed.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment