Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Timeless laughter, ageless beauty, and unending glory.

One thing I've heard lately is how this and that grow old and fade away. Is it true? Sure, for a lot of things it is. I'd like to suggest that there is timelessness in many others. Good humor remains good even as it ages, which is why the joke of "look over there" gets used by every generation (and probably has since the beginning of time). Beauty preferences change, but the idea of beauty is a constant; it's just our current definition that changes.
 
Anyway, all that to say that there are certain characteristics that can be identified and learned. Once we understand those, we can use them more effectively. I've been a student of laugher for all my life (even though most people who know me think I have a very dry sense of humor indeed) and love a good chuckle. I grew up with comedies and thoroughly enjoyed Jerry Lewis, Laurel and Hardy, Tim Conway, Bill Cosby, and so many others. We all can use a good laugh.
 
Yes, I truly believe that never-ending glory can be had through strong use of the timeless qualities all around us. Even if I'm wrong, it's a great goal and I hope a laudable one as well. One thing I sure don't want is to do is add to the dry rot spreading through cultures all the time. Time to break out the book of jokes and find some real groaners.
 
- M
 
"What did the ocean say to the other?"
"Nothing, he just waved..."

No comments:

Post a Comment