Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Remember to "Fall Back" this weekend, for Daylight Savings Time.

image credit
This weekend we get to set our clocks back an hour and sleep in. Yippee! Of course, that means we will be dreading "Leap Ahead" day at the other end of the equation where we lose an hour of sleep. To me, this is a dastardly plan to cause jet lag to an entire nation all at once. Nope, don't like the concept at all. My wife tells me I'm being over-dramatic--she's probably right--and that it's not such a big deal. It's been going on for a long time, and I doubt it'll change.
 
Technically, in the Fall we enter Daylight Standard Time and in the Spring we move to Daylight Savings Time. A quick perusal of the Wikipedia page demonstrates this concept is quite old actually, and various countries around the world use it. Generally speaking, the idea is supposed to save energy use (as the sun is shining, so less energy is spent lighting working areas). Of course, modern society doesn't behave the same as older ones, and we sure don't use gas lights or candles much either.
 
However you feel about it, it's the way things are around here. I don't suppose a one-person strike will accomplish much, so I will be complying with the rest of them. I will thoroughly enjoy an extra hour of sleep this weekend, and I am certain to be fully rested and eager to meet the day's work. Or, I'll just hit the snooze a couple times less. Either way, I appreciate having more time for once ... actually, what happens to that hour? Is it in limbo during half of the year and brought out to stare at the rest of the year? Hmm, I think scientific inquiry needs to be done to find out what happens to the hour in question.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment